Princess Charlene of Monaco is in a stable condition after being rushed to a hospital following a collapse at her South African lodge on Wednesday night.
The royal, 43, was admitted to the Netcare Alberlito Hospital after the ‘medical emergency’ caused by complications from an infection she contracted in May.
A foundation set up in her name said in a statement on Friday: ‘Her Serene Highness Princess Charlene of Monaco was rushed to hospital by ambulance late on Wednesday night after collapsing due to complications from the severe ear, nose and throat infection she contracted in May.
‘Her medical team is currently evaluating her but have confirmed the princess is stable.’
The hospital refused to confirm what procedures or checks were carried out citing confidentiality legislation, but a source said she had been admitted as a VIP patient and treated on a separate floor to other patients.
Charlene was last seen in Monaco in January and has been in her home country of South Africa for months.
In May, she fell ill with a ‘serious sinus infection’ and two weeks ago she underwent a ‘four-hour operation under general anaesthesia’.
The palace said at the time: “During a trip to the African continent as part of a wildlife conservation mission, Princess Charlene contracted an ENT infection that does not allow her to travel.”
Charlene was first seen in South Africa back in March this year as she attended the funeral of Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini kwaBhekuzulu in Nongoma, KwaZulu-Natal.
She was born in Zimbabwe but grew up in South Africa after her family moved there in 1989.
The former Olympic swimmer also stayed in the nation to raise awareness around rhino poaching.
She was meant to return to Monaco to make an appearance at the Monaco F1 Grand Prix in Monte Carlo on May 23.