Top 5 This Week

Related Posts

Suspected Missile Debris Sparks Fear After U.S. Airstrikes in Sokoto

Offa, Kwara State – Christmas night in Offa took a terrifying turn when loud explosions shattered the peace, leaving residents shaken and properties damaged across two locations in the historic town. The incident, which occurred just hours after the United States announced airstrikes against ISIS targets in northwest Nigeria, has sparked widespread fear, confusion, and urgent questions about national security.

At around midnight on December 25, 2025, two explosion-like events rocked parts of Offa, a bustling commercial hub in Kwara State. According to eyewitnesses and local reports, the first blast devastated several buildings near the Eid Praying Ground, a well-known landmark in the community. Minutes later, a second incident occurred near Solid Worth Hotel—a popular accommodation spot just five minutes’ walk from the first site.

Panic gripped residents as smoke and debris filled the air, prompting mass evacuations and a flood of phone calls to emergency services. Social media quickly lit up with videos and images showing structural damage, while rumors began to circulate about possible terrorist attacks or accidental detonations.

Government Responds: Incident Confirmed

The confusion was soon met with official acknowledgment. Abiola Azeez Babatunde, Chief Press Secretary to the Executive Chairman of Offa Local Government, confirmed the occurrence in a statement released on Friday morning.

“The Offa Local Government has taken note of reports circulating regarding a suspected ordnance-related incident that occurred in the precinct of Offa Yidi Praying Ground on December 25, 2025,” Babatunde said.

He added that the affected areas had been cordoned off by security agencies to facilitate a thorough investigation. Chairman Suleiman Olatunji Omituntun personally visited the scene shortly after the incident to assess the damage and coordinate with emergency response teams.

“The Executive Chairman urges residents to remain calm, vigilant, and law-abiding,” the statement emphasized. “Citizens are advised to verify information through credible and official sources to avoid spreading fear and panic.”

A Chilling Clue: Missile Component Suspected

While initial speculation pointed to improvised explosive devices or sabotage, a more alarming theory began to emerge—this was not a bomb, but rather a piece of a missile from a foreign airstrike.

A senior security official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The PUNCH that investigators discovered what appears to be a component from an armed missile at the second explosion site near Solid Worth Hotel. Even more striking: an undetonated device was found, intensifying security operations in the area.

“You know there was an airstrike by the U.S. in collaboration with the Nigerian government against terrorists in Sokoto,” the official revealed. “The operation involved more than a dozen Tomahawk cruise missiles launched from a U.S. warship stationed in the Gulf of Guinea.”

He further explained: “What was found in Offa is not a bomb—but a component of the bomb from the missile launched. It likely fell off course during flight or failed to fully detonate upon impact.”

Timing Raises Alarm

The explosions in Offa came just hours after former U.S. President Donald Trump publicly announced targeted airstrikes against ISIS-linked militants in Sokoto State—roughly 540 to 550 kilometers away from Offa. While no official link has been confirmed between the two events, the proximity in time and nature of the impacts has triggered deep concern.

Could it be possible that a missile strayed off its intended trajectory? Or was there a failure in the guidance system of one of the cruise missiles? These are the pressing questions now facing national security agencies.

Residents are demanding answers.

“We were celebrating Christmas—no one expected to hear explosions like war,” said Tijani Salami, a local shop owner whose building was partially destroyed. “Are we now battlefields? When will our leaders protect us not just from terrorists, but from friendly fire too?”

Authorities Investigate Amid Growing Anxiety

As of Friday morning, no casualties have been officially reported—a small mercy amid the chaos. However, the psychological toll on the community is evident. Many families spent the morning assessing property damage, while others evacuated to nearby towns.

SP Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi, Police Public Relations Officer for Kwara State, confirmed that investigations are underway.

“Discrete investigations are ongoing to reveal what happened precisely. Please be patient,” she said, urging the public not to speculate.

Despite the police assurance, the lack of a detailed statement from either the state government or the military has fueled skepticism. Given the gravity of the situation—including the presence of unexploded ordnance and the potential involvement of foreign military operations—residents are calling for transparency.

A Wake-Up Call for National Security

Beyond the immediate damage, the Offa incident raises broader concerns about Nigeria’s airspace security, coordination between international allies during military operations, and the risks posed to civilian populations—even those far from declared conflict zones.

Cruise missiles like the Tomahawk are known for their precision, but technical malfunctions, navigation errors, or adverse weather conditions can lead to catastrophic miscalculations. If confirmed, this would mark one of the first known instances of collateral damage from a U.S.-Nigeria joint military operation landing in a densely populated area.

Security analysts warn that trust in counterterrorism efforts could erode if civilian safety is not prioritized.

“This should never have happened,” said Dr. Lola Adekunle, a defense policy expert at the University of Ibadan. “Joint military operations must include robust fail-safes, real-time tracking, and contingency plans for off-target strikes. Civilian areas cannot be left vulnerable to high-tech weaponry meant for remote battlefields.”

Residents Call for Calm, Clarity—and Safety

For now, the people of Offa are left picking up the pieces—physically and emotionally. With Christmas celebrations overshadowed by fear, many are questioning the cost of peace.

Local leaders are appealing for unity and restraint. “We urge our people to remain calm and allow investigations to run their course,” said Imam Abdul-Rahman Jimoh during a community meeting held Friday morning. “But we also demand answers. We deserve to know why war came to our homes.”

The Offa Local Government says it remains committed to ensuring public safety and will continue working with federal and regional security agencies until the full truth is uncovered.

The Road Ahead

As Nigeria grapples with rising insecurity and increasing foreign military involvement in its counterterrorism campaigns, the events in Offa serve as a stark reminder: even the most advanced weapons carry risks when deployed near populated regions.

Residents want accountability. They want transparency. And most of all, they want assurance that such an incident will never happen again.

Until then, the echoes of those Christmas night explosions will linger—not just in damaged buildings, but in the hearts of a community suddenly awakened to the fragile line between safety and chaos.


Updates on this developing story will be provided as official statements become available.

Leave a Reply

Popular Articles