King Charles III was mistakenly declared dead by UK radio station Radio Caroline in an unexpected on-air error that briefly shocked listeners.
The incident occurred on Tuesday, May 19, when the station suddenly interrupted its regular programming to announce that broadcasts had been suspended following the supposed death of the 77-year-old monarch.
According to reports, the station aired a statement claiming that King Charles III had passed away and said it would switch to continuous “respectful music” in line with procedures typically followed after the death of a reigning monarch. The British national anthem, “God Save the King,” was then played before the station reportedly went silent for about 15 minutes.
Station manager Peter Moore later apologized, explaining that the announcement was triggered accidentally by a computer malfunction at the station’s main studio.
In a statement shared on Facebook, Moore said the station’s emergency “Death of a Monarch” protocol — a standard procedure maintained by UK broadcasters — had been mistakenly activated.
He added that staff quickly restored normal programming and issued an on-air apology once they realized the error.
The false announcement caused confusion among listeners, with several people taking to social media to describe their shock. Some said they initially believed the report was real before learning it had been a mistake.
The station did not reveal how long the incorrect announcement remained on air before it was corrected.
The incident happened while King Charles III and Queen Camilla were carrying out official engagements in Northern Ireland.

